It’s been a long year. It’s been a full year. And it’s been a trying year.
But it’s also been a year of real victories, made possible by you. 2018 was a year when we were proud to stand together to fight for justice for all people.
Here’s our list:
Top 5 MPower Change Victories of 2018
- Helping successfully unite baby Abdullah with his mother—despite Trump’s Muslim Ban keeping them apart. When Shaima Swileh was kept from saying goodbye to her dying child by Trump’s Muslim Ban, MPower Change members leaped into action alongside partner organizations like CAIR California—all in the last few weeks of 2018. Our work can change lives directly—and next year, we’re going to demand that Congress #RepealTheBan, so that no other impacted family or community will have to suffer.
- Our #MuslimsForDream civil disobedience action in Washington, DC, demanding a clean Dream Act. In March, MPower Change members and Muslim faith leaders held a sit-in at Paul Ryan’s congressional office, with our partners at United We Dream and Bend The Arc Jewish Action. We were proud to take action together—as Muslims, Jews, and people of various faiths—to demand protection for both the Dreamers specifically, and undocumented immigrants more broadly.
- Helping to stop the Sinclair “Trump TV” Merger. With the guidance of invaluable partners like Free Press, MPower Change members submitted thousands of comments and made hundreds of phone calls, successfully pushing the FCC to deny Sinclair Broadcasting Group’s merger—a corporate media mega-merger which would’ve flooded even more U.S. TV sets with pro-Trump propaganda masquerading as local news.
- Making history with a vote in the U.S. Senate to help stop the war on Yemen. MPower Change members lobbied Congress for months to put an end to U.S. support for the Saudi-led war on Yemen. And in mid-December, the U.S. Senate made history by voting—for the first time ever—to direct the U.S. military to withdraw from hostilities. We still have a ways to go to end the conflict, but we’re that much closer thanks to our collective efforts.
- Increasing Muslim voter turnout with #MyMuslimVote and #CallingAllMuslims. We worked with our national network of #MyMuslimVote partners and held the first-ever National Muslim Voter Registration Day—registering new voters at nearly 50 different events all over the U.S. We called close to 10,000 voters during our #CallingAllMuslims day of phonebanking. It was a year of seemingly unprecedented Muslim voter turnout—and we could not be more proud of the role we played making that happen.
There were some real, valuable movement moments this year. Let’s not forget them.
Please spread the word now:
Here’s why it matters so much:
Doing this work is not easy for anyone. It’s all too easy to burn out, and to lose sight of the wins and glimmers of real hope along the way.
It’s been an exhausting year for those who love justice. But it has not been a hopeless year. Let’s hold on to that, and let it give us the strength we need to keep pushing forward.
The secret sauce that keeps MPower Change humming? Our members, who show up on the ground, fund our work, and spread the word. Our members make what we do possible, and we truly hope you’re proud of that.
P.S. None of this work would’ve been possible without your support—and your funding. Before the year ends, will you sign up to be a MPower Change sustaining member for $5 a month in 2019?